Heidenau PT Pro K84 100x65-14 - The Segway i2 special tyre finally available!
Segway i2 Segway i2/Gen2 Segway i2/SE
Exactly on the rim size fitting tyres for the Segway i2?
Up to now there was only the CTS original Segway PT tyre in the size 100x65-14. On the whole tyre market there was no alternative. For this reason one had to live with the moderately good characteristics of the CTS original tyre or as an emergency solution one had to switch to the nearest tyre size 80x80-14.
There are many different tyres available in this size, but do they have the right characteristics for the Segway i2?
As this tyre size is mainly used in the scooter sector, the 80x80-14 tyres have also been specially optimised for this application. Due to the lack of alternatives, this emergency solution prevailed in practice for the Segway i2. However, it is obvious that the Segway i2 vehicle concept makes completely different demands on a tyre than a scooter. That is why scooter tyres are anything but optimal and in addition too narrow.
Let us summarise briefly:
Up to now there have been 2 options when choosing tyres for the Segway i2
- The Segway i2 rider uses the tyre from CTS in the size 100x65-14, which is installed by the manufacturer This is more designed for indoor use or flat smooth and dry floors. The CTS Tire is accordingly difficult to ride on uneven, wet or slushy surfaces. An additional complicating factor is that it can be driven off very quickly due to its low profile. In summary, this tyre is not suitable for the private Segway i2 rider, but especially for the Segway PT tour provider in our regions. The CTS is only able to ride satisfactorily on a small range of surfaces.
- You choose scooter tyres of the size 80x80-14, there you will find tyres with different characteristics among which you can choose the most suitable emergency solution for your own use. Strictly speaking, these are not permitted for use on the Segway i2, as the tyres are too narrow for the Segway i2 rim. Therefore the rim protrudes over the tyre. The use would have to be registered separately. In practice, however, this is usually ignored and is also practised without any major problems. Due to the lack of knowledge of the authorities and the users. The advantage is that you can drive tyres e.g. a Heidenau K66 all-weather tyre with a better tread pattern. These scooter tyres are more durable and the range of these tyres is much wider than the original Segway tyre. Many Segway i2 riders have been forced to use these tyres for their own safety and also because of their use on frequently changing surfaces and weather conditions. As a result, this emergency solution became generally accepted in Europe.
Many Segway PT owners, enthusiasts, screwdrivers and above all the specialist dealers were always trying to find a better solution. Of course this solution should finally be 100% legal.
So far it failed to find a manufacturer who wanted to produce these Segway i2 specific tyres in special sizes. From a purely economic point of view this was not possible with the market structure of the Segway PT. It is therefore all the more pleasing that the well-known German tyre manufacturer Heidenau, after intensive discussions with PT Pro, has nevertheless agreed to take up the challenge. In many meetings the special characteristics for a perfect Segway i2 tyre were determined and translated into a tyre form that leaves nothing to be desired.
Heidenau did not simply use existing moulds, but specifically used PT Pro to determine the characteristics of the optimal i2 tyre. PT Pro was allowed to bring in both its experience as a long-standing Segway PT Tour supplier and its overview of the technical features of the Segway i2. In combination with Heidenau's know-how in tyre technology this is a powerful combination.
After long development, many partial steps, economic setbacks, numerous test phases, constant optimisation and final inspection, the acceptance of the Heidenau PT Pro K84 Segway i2 tyre followed. Now the K84 can finally go on sale.
The very name of the tyre - Heidenau PT Pro K84 - expresses the close cooperation and the joint responsibility of Heidenau and PT Pro for this tyre.
What makes the K84 so special?
The tyre sets completely new standards compared to all other tyres that could be used for the Segway i2 and is unrivalled in all areas of use. Because this tyre has been specially developed for the Segway i2, taking into account many years of practical experience from the tour operation. Therefore this tyre is an "allrounder" on the Segway i2 and beats comparable tyres by worlds.
Features and benefits of the Heidenau PT Pro K84 100x65-14 tyre for the Segway i2:
- The Heidenau PT Pro K84 was tested, approved, licensed and produced in Germany
- The special size 100x65-14 can be used legally without registration
- The K84 was developed especially for the requirements of the Segway i2 and therefore covers the widest possible range of applications
- The higher inherent damping of the tyre promises more driving comfort
- reduces error messages on the Segway i2 through better damping
- The tyre design reduces air loss and the risk of punctures
- The K84 could also be used tubeless with a suitable 14 inch rim (but always use a tube on existing Segway rims)
- Good grip on all common surfaces due to stronger profiling at the tyre edges
- Profiling for all weather conditions whether dry, wet, heat or suitable in autumn and winter
- Excellent water displacement through special profiling
- Low friction due to centre bar, therefore higher battery range with better grip
- Rim-protecting tyre design, reduces the risk of falling when sideways inking
- Stable reinforced tyre sidewall allows you to finish the tour even if you get a flat tyre (failure reducing)
- Long service life, low wear due to various rubber compounds (hard centre bar - soft profile outside)
- Excellent price - performance ratio
A slightly higher weight of the tyre is the only disadvantage of the Heidenau PT Pro K84 known to us. However, as the battery range is increased by the construction of the tyre, the slightly higher weight is only a disadvantage on the scale and has practically no negative influence
Of course it is possible to mount the Heidenau PT Pro K84 yourself! It is easier with our tyre fitting set and our hydraulic mounting stand